Yesterday, I was working on some share point online site in which I want to associate external users on particular wiki page. The challenge was to assign external users on particular share point wiki page with contributors right so only assigned users can contribute and collaborate on particular wiki content. After digging it and exploring the options I found that it’s really easy to do that in SharePoint online.
Following are some steps that outline how to enable External user features and add external users with contributors’ rights for particular page or item.
Login to Office 365 Account
- First of all login to your office 365 account and click on Manage under SharePoint Online section.
In the SharePoint online page click on Manage Site Collections
Click on Setting-> Manage external settings
Login to Site Collection
- Go to the Site settings of Parent site (mainly Public site as most of the sites derived from there) and click on Manage Site Collection feature.
- Activate External Users Invitations feature.
- Now you can invite multiple users to particular site and grant permission on particular item.
Inviting Users and Granting Permissions
Once you are logged in to you site collection you can share particular site from Site Actions -> Share Site option.
Here I want to share my Team site with external users and wants to grant permission on particular wiki page.
Once you click on the Share site option, you have to provide its user id. Note: please provide office 365 account id or Hotmail id as when the user tries to login there will be only two options provided either to login through Hotmail account or Office 365 Online account.
- User will get a notification in email and when he accepts that a new user will be created in the specified groups. Now the admin can grant permissions to external users for particular site item or page.
- Below screens shows the external user logged in to the site with his Hotmail id and have contributing permission on only particular wiki page.